Online degrees are a new academic trend, but becoming more in-demand. It’s important to choose the right online degree program for you. This infographic will show you things to look for when selecting an online counseling program.
What to Look for in an Online Counseling Program
Online degrees are a fairly new trend, but they are becoming increasingly popular. Online programs offer more flexibility, the ability to work while completing a degree, and opportunities for career change or advancement. It’s important to choose the right degree program. Here are some things to look for when selecting an online counseling program.
- Look for regional accreditation
- Look for a program that prepares you for state counseling exams, such as the TExES school counseling exam.
- Investigate the program’s exam pass rate for counselors-in-training
- Review student testimonials
Choose a program which:
- Fits licensure requirements as outlined by your state’s licensing board
- Prepares you for the state certification examination
- Prepares you for National Board Certified Counselors (NBCC) examinations
- Prepares you for NCE exams
Fits Your Personal Needs
- Can your schedule accommodate the extra time commitment for on-campus courses, including class and commute times?
- Do you want a more flexible or structured program?
- Is financial aid available?
Fits Your Goals
- Have a specific career in mind?
- Want to work with specific issues, like career development or mental health?
- Want to build on your current education, job, and credentials?
- Want to work with specific populations, like high schoolers or at-risk youth?
- Ask if online student support is available 24/7
- Ask about tech support, academic and career services
- Ask how experienced instructors are with online courses
- Ask former students about their experiences with technology and support
Get in touch with support services before applying if you have specific concerns